The 420x Explorer Inflatable Kayak is the largest inflatable kayak within Sea Eagle’s Explorer™ series.
Best Uses: The 420x Explorer is sturdy enough to handle white-water kayaking up to Class IV. However, the versatility of the self-bailing drain valves (which can be left open or closed) also makes this boat suitable for ocean kayaking, bays, lakes, and stable flat-water river excursions as well.
Brand: Sea Eagle
Available at: SeaEagle.com – Sea Eagle 420x Explorer
Number of Paddlers: 3 or up to 855 lbs
- Length: 14 ft
- Width: 3 ft 3 inches
- Interior: 13′ 4″ x 15″
- Hull weight: 44 lbs
- Deflated: 31″ x 21″ x 10″
- Chambers: 3 (port, starboard, floor)
- Inflation time: 9 minutes
- Tube diameter: 11.5″
- Air valves: 3 recessed one-way
- Engine capacity: 34 lbs thrust electric
- Inflation pressure: 3.2 psi
Accessories Included: 16 fast self-bailing drain valves, large removable slide skeg, one-way air valves, 26 D-rings, separate drop stitch floor, front and rear spray skirts with bungee cords, and carry handles. Additional accessories vary with package options, which are described in more detail below.
Kayak Material: 1000 Denier Reinforced with a quadruple overlapped seam
- Can seat up to 3 passengers
- Heavy enough to constitute a sturdy vessel, but not too heavy as to make it inconvenient to transport
- Versatile for adventures gliding through several different bodies of water
- No specific complaints – although some users have suggested that those interested in using the boat for more open-water adventures should opt for the brand’s Deluxe Package, as its features are more suitable for such excursions.
More In-Depth Info
Sea Eagle’s 420x Explorer kayak is the largest within the Explorer series, but it has the toughness to show for it as a heavy-duty vessel for rougher waters.
This boat will keep any couple or pair of family members secure and safe as you tread through either rough or calm waters for a kayaking adventure to remember. Keep in mind also that although the package accessories (detailed below) provide enough components for two people, with its impressive weight capacity of 855 lbs, up to three people may be seated in this vessel.
Even compared to larger kayaks – such as Sea Eagle’s 465ft FastTrack – there is no match for the 420x in its ability to carry more weight without compromising safety.
What Makes It Great?
There are a few things about the 420x Explorer that make it a good choice for kayakers.
The versatility of this model means that you don’t have to worry about whether or not it can handle this or that body of water. Therefore, it can be suitable for all kinds of different adventures – a jack-of-all-trades boat.
The durability of this model – particularly when assessing the quality of other brands – is another advantage that really makes it stand out. You want to feel safe when heading out on rougher waters, and this boat can provide that for both younger and adult passengers.
The boat is also easy to maneuver and can be easily stored and transported for both short and long-term trips.
Sea Eagle offers SEVEN unique packages featuring various accessories and add-ons for the 420x Explorer kayak:
- Deluxe Package ‒ For all-around paddlers looking to hit a variety of waters, in addition to the boat itself, the deluxe package features a simple repair kit, a carrying bag for the vessel, a foot pump, a slide-in skeg, two 7′ 10″ paddles, and two “deluxe” inflatable kayak seats.
- Pro Kayak Package ‒ The Pro Kayak package for this boat includes the same repair kit, slide-in skeg, foot pump, carrying bag, as well as two 8′ high-performance paddles able to help reduce fatigue and offer increased power. The biggest difference with this package as opposed to the Deluxe is that it offers passengers greater back support with its two tall back seats. The package also includes TWO kayak stow bags.
- Pro Carbon Package ‒ The Pro Carbon package is nearly identical to the general Pro package, except for its additional offer of upgraded AB50 carbon-fiber paddles as opposed to the AB40 paddles featured in the general Pro package.
- QuikSail Package ‒ The QuikSail package features all the add-ons or accessories featured in the Pro package, with an additional QuikSail included for kayakers eager to go for some downwind sailing.
- Pro Motor Package ‒ This package features some of the standard offerings included in this boat’s packages such as the carrying bag, repair kit, slide-in skeg, foot pump, and tall back seats for back support. In addition, it includes two 4ft straps, two 8′ AB40 paddles, a Motormount FastTrack, and – most importantly – a Watersnake Asp T24 electric motor suitable for both fresh and saltwater. This allows passengers to choose between either steering the boat manually with the paddles or turning on the motor for times when you need some rest.
- QuikRow™ Package ‒ This is another ideal package for versatile use with its QuikRow kit, which features a simplified fixed frame able to transform the boat into the perfect fishing or rowing vessel easily and quickly. Also included are two Scotty rod holders.
- Pro Motor Fishing Rig Package ‒ Coming in at the steepest price out of all the 420x Explorer packages, this package features all the goods: the standard accessories featured in the Pro package (minus the stow bags), Motormount FastTrack, a multi-purpose storage box, two swivel seats, four rod holders, WaterSnake Venom 34 electric motor, and a motor mount.
With the right budget, the 420x is a high-performance, high-quality vessel that will not disappoint for adventures out in riskier waters.
The manufacturer has a stellar reputation for a reason, and the 420x is suitable for use in both calm and rough waters for users ready to get some long-term use out of this large but durable kayak.
Where to Buy
The 420x Explorer Inflatable Kayak can be purchased directly from the Sea Eagle manufacturer on their website, listed under their Inflatable Kayaks Explorer series.
By purchasing directly from the manufacturer, you will have access to all the package options and can take advantage of other benefits they offer as well, including: 3-year warranty, competitive prices, and a 180-day risk-free trial. The manufacturer also occasionally offers limited time deals for free shipping, which cuts down the cost even more.
See more reviews and current specials on seaeagle.com!