Kayaking is one of the most rewarding hobbies. With a kayak, you can explore peaceful lakes and unplug from constant contact with the busy world, or you can take on exhilarating rapids and have the ride of your life. When your trip is done, storing your kayak should be just as easy and rewarding. These top five kayak storage products and this ultimate kayak storage guide will give you the best tools to save your sanity while you store your kayak until your next waterfront adventure.
The Best Kayak Storage Systems
This fantastic storage rack can keep up to three of your kayaks at a time safe and out of the way. This FS Rack System by Malone is a freestanding rack designed for either indoor or outdoor storage to fit wherever you have space for storing your vessels.
- This rack can stand alone and be placed anywhere that you have room for storing your kayak. It has been specifically designed to withstand various weather conditions if outdoor storage works better for you.
- The rack can store up to three boats at a time, and the weight limit of the potential load is 250 pounds.
- This rack set includes eight frame levelers that won’t create pressure points on the kayak’s hull to reduce the risk of warping your boat.
- To protect your kayaks, this rack comes with two sets of J-style holders that are padded and a set of foam stack blocks.
- The unit is easy to assemble so that you can put it together and have your kayaks stored away quickly. Most customers reported that they were able to assemble the unit in 30 to 45 minutes or less. An assembly tool and stainless steel hardware are included in the purchase.
- You can have complete peace of mind with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. They have excellent and prompt customer service should any concerns arise.
The Suspenz Deluxe Free-Standing Rack is a free-standing rack that holds two kayaks comfortably. If you need to store more boats, this rack has the unique feature of being able to expand to store up to six vessels if desired. The load-assist arms pivot to enable you to load your watercraft by yourself quickly and easily. Created for indoor or outdoor storage, this rack was designed for durability and longevity.
- The Suspenz Rack is constructed with a powder-coated steel finish to protect it from the elements. This allows you to use it inside or outside with ease.
- The rack can easily hold two kayaks that each weight up to 100 pounds, and it can be expanded for up to six boats. Kayaks should be stored on their sides for maximum space in your storage area.
- The kayaks are held onto the frame with sturdy straps that are UV light resistant for long-lasting strength. The straps are also reinforced to add additional support for your boat and to reduce the risk of scratching the surface or distorting the shape of the hull.
- There are load-assist pivot arms to make unloading or putting up watercraft a breeze, even if you have to do it by yourself.
- This rack has a superior design to keep the rack stable and able to handle heavy loads. It has steel core and self-leveling feet for a base that’s rock solid. Its bright yellow color also keeps the rack easily in your field of view.
- You can adjust the height, length, and width of each rack to ensure the perfect fit for your kayak’s individual dimensions and to evenly distribute its weight.
- Customers love that this rack is fast and easy to assemble. It also holds up well to years of frequent use.
The Suspenz EZ Kayak Rack is a number one pick for storing your kayak when it’s not out on the water. The rack can easily be mounted onto your wall or converted into a freestanding rack to fit into your storage space without any trouble. Its specialized features will protect your watercraft from both natural elements and scratches or dings to the kayak’s surface. In addition to its storage use, this storage rack can also be used as a convenient way to hold your kayak while you clean it. You can even use this rack with an SUP board if you prefer.
- This kayak rack is designed for indoor or outdoor use and was created for kayaks that weigh up to 125 pounds.
- The kayak rack is easy to install to let you quickly organize your storage space. Some customers even report having it up and in working order in less than 15 minutes.
- The rack is made of galvanized steel covered in a powder-coated epoxy. This combination makes it sturdy, lightweight, and resistant to rust from saltwater or the elements.
- The stainless steel hardware is ideal for a strong, sturdy mounting connection and is resilient to outside conditions.
- Each kayak rests on a foam pad covered in 600D nylon to keep your kayak from getting scratched or dinged during storage.
- For further protection from scraps, this rack extends to 21 inches away from the wall.
- There are even safety straps to hold your kayak securely in its spot until you’re ready to use it again.
- The sleek design makes it easy to install multiple racks so that you can store several kayaks on one wall.
The RAD Sportz Kayak Hoist Quality Garage Storage Canoe Lift offers unique storage features for your kayak. There’s always enough room to store your kayak with this storage solution that raises your watercraft up to the ceiling. This keeps your kayak up and out of the way to make the most of your storage space. This kayak hoist has a system of smooth levers and pulleys that easily lift even heavy kayaks up to make storage a breeze.
- This kayak lift is designed to support bulky, heavy watercraft, including kayaks or canoes. It can lift up to 125 pounds.
- The storage hooks have a special rubber coating to protect your kayak from scratches or gouges during storage.
- It has been robustly engineered with recently improved straps to hold your kayak snugly and safely as you store it overhead.
- There are secure rope-locking mechanisms that keep the rope from slipping to ensure your safety and protection from the accidental release of the rope.
- This product was designed for ceilings up to a height of 12 feet tall.
- The lift can be installed quickly and easily with two options for installation. First, you can mount the unit with a two by four screwed into the joist. The second option allows you to directly attach the product to the ceiling joist itself.
- RAD Sportz wants you to buy with confidence, and they stand behind their product with a money-back guarantee. They also provide a lifetime warranty for this kayak lift. This product offers you an easy solution for storing your kayak and peace of mind from the manufacturer.
The Malone Auto Racks SlingTwo Double Kayak Storage System is a quality kayak storage option that can mount to your wall or ceiling. It has a unique system that allows you to hang two kayaks if preferred. The quick release straps will let you get your kayak out fast so that you can spend more time on the water and less time carefully removing your kayak from its storage apparatus.
- This storage system is ideal for indoor use, and you can mount it to either the wall or ceiling.
- You can store up to two kayaks or canoes with this unit, and it has a maximum weight capacity of 135 pounds.
- The straps are each one-inch wide and have a quick release mechanism for easy unloading.
- The system comes with five coated hooks and durable stainless steel hardware.
The Complete Guide to Storing Your Kayak
Kayak storage products are available in a variety of styles, and thinking about your storage space available and your desired features can be a good guide for selecting the right product for your kayak. You can choose from free-standing kayak racks or ones that can be mounted to the wall or ceiling. You should also consider the number of kayaks that you need to store currently. If you think that you might be adding to that number some day, you may want to consider a unit that can expand. Additionally, some kayak storage units are easy to use by yourself if you have to put the kayak away alone.
When storing your kayak, you want to make sure that you protect the shape of the hull and keep it in mint condition. This kayak storage guide will equip you with the tips and tricks that you need to keep your kayak looking like new every time you bring it out of storage.
You want your kayak to perform its best each time that you take it out on the water, and the best way to do that is to make sure that’s stored properly in between uses. Given their large and bulky size, kayaks can sometimes be a challenge to store correctly. After you’ve measured your kayak, dig into this guide that will take you through the ins and outs that kayak owners need to know to keep their watercraft in peak condition.
Consider Your Available Storage Space: Inside Vs. Outside Vs. Off-Site
Wherever you plan to store your kayak, there are some key features to keep in mind. First, you need to protect it from sunlight. Over time, UV rays have to potential to break down the surface of your kayak. Second, moisture can degrade your kayak’s materials with constant contact. Third, areas that get very hot can also lead to damage to your kayak. Finally, extreme cold, especially if there’s freezing and thawing going on, can compromise the integrity of kayak and can be particularly bad for fiberglass kayaks that are also exposed to moisture.
Inside Storage Considerations
Ideally, your kayak should find a home indoors. If you’ve got an inflatable or folding kayak, it’s easy to follow the manufacturer’s instructions, deflate or fold it, and tuck it away. A hard shell kayak, on the other hand, is usually best to store with some type of storage device to protect its shape and exterior surface.
There are some things to keep in mind when considering indoor storage options. First, select an ideal location. Obvious storage places include a garage, basement, or shed. You can also be creative and consider a spare bedroom if needed. Important factors to evaluate include a space that maintains the right temperature as extreme temperatures can affect the shape of your kayak’s hull. Ideally, that place should be at least 32 degrees Fahrenheit and less than 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, you still need to be aware of potential sunlight exposure, so keep the kayak away from any windows.
Outdoor Storage Ideas
If outdoor storage if the best option for you, then please keep in mind the weather, moisture issues, and potential bugs. Consider getting a good, waterproof, UV-resistant tarp to help with any of these issues.
Weather conditions may pose a threat to the longevity of your boat if not stored properly. There are some things that you can do, however, to safely store your boat outside for the long haul. Picking a spot with the least amount of exposure to direct sunlight and the elements is preferred. Utilize areas like underneath a deck or under the eaves of the house if possible.
Your main goals for outside kayak storage are to find a shady and dry spot. First, shade protects the boat from harmful UV rays from sunlight, which can potentially weaken and damage the shape and strength of your kayak. If you’re having trouble finding a spot with continuous shade, consider using a weather-resistant tarp to create artificial shade. However, please be sure to suspend the tarp over the kayak and ensure that it is not touching the boat itself to reduce the risk of creating a damp environment. Second, you need to select a kayak storage area where your watercraft can stay dry as moisture can become a breeding ground for mold or fungi. Be certain that you can protect your kayak from rain or snow. Heavy rain or snow buildup on a kayak can deform the shape of your boat’s hull.
Third Party Storage
If you don’t have the right storage area at your home, you can always consider storing your kayak at a third party location. Outdoor sports centers. kayak outfitters, and marinas usually have a rental storage place specifically designed for small watercraft. These places specialize in caring for boats of all sizes, and they should have the perfect location and specifications to keep your yak in mint condition. As an added bonus, the personnel may even help you get your boat in and out of the water for a speedy start to your next kayaking adventure.
The Best Ways to Store a Kayak
Off The Ground
However you choose to store a kayak, be sure that it’s not on the ground. Leaving your boat on the ground can expose your ship to harmful dirt, mildew, and moisture, which can warp the hull beyond repair. The most common ways to store a kayak are on a kayak rack or using a suspension system.
Kayak racks are a great option for kayak storage. It’s important to keep the hull protected, so be sure to get a rack where you can store the kayak on its side or with the hull side facing up. Some kayak racks even feature a boat lift arm to let you easily store the kayak by yourself.
Kayak suspension systems can help you to easily get your boat up and out of the way. Be sure to select or make one with wide straps to prevent pressure on the hull, and keep the boat’s hull facing up to reduce the risk of warping your kayak’s shape. It’s critical that you never store a kayak from the grab loops, which damage the shape of the hull. Please use extreme caution if storing your kayak from the ceiling as it can put extra pressure on the kayak’s hull if not used properly.
Do These Three Things Every Time that You Store Your Kayak
There are several steps that you should take each time you get ready to store your kayak to ensure that it’s in tip tip shape for your next outing. Spending a little time today putting things away properly will can keep things in good working order for years to come.
• Keep it clean. Wash the hull of your kayak thoroughly with fresh water to remove any dirt, debris, or saltwater. Don’t forget to clean your seat, rudder, its cables, or footbraces. A couple of times a year, set aside some time to wash your whole kayak with a mixture of mild soap and fresh water. Let everything dry completely before storage.
• Get the weight distributed evenly with padded cradles or wide straps. Uneven weight distribution puts pressure on different parts of your kayak and can warp and wreck the hull. You want your boat to perform its best each and every time, so be sure to place your kayak in the correct place in its storage harness or rack, which usually supports the boat at one-third intervals. If you’re storing your kayak for a long period of time, you may even want to rotate which side it is resting on to reduce the risk of warping the sides.
• Keep your kayak accessories in mind. For long term use, be sure to carefully clean and store your paddle, spray skirt, bilge pump, and so on according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Storing your kayak can be a lot of work, but it’s important to remember these other pieces of equipment and give them thorough attention and care to make every kayaking trip its best.
Protect Your Kayak from Potential Theft
You’ve invested a good bit of money and time to purchase your boat and store it properly for years of fun. You don’t want to lose that investment by someone stealing it, so keep these things in mind to decrease your risk of getting robbed.
First, do your best to store your kayak out of view. A discretely stored kayak can reduce the risk of someone being tempted to steal it in the first place. Additionally, try to keep your boat somewhere that would make it difficult for a thief to grab it and make a quick getaway.
Furthermore, consider using a lock or anti-theft device. Car steering wheel locks can be the perfect fit across the cockpit of a kayak, which makes it impossible for a thief to use without its removal. Security cables placed around your kayak and chained to a nearby sturdy structure, such as a tree or fence post, can also increase the safety of your boat.
Stow Your Kayak in Style
Storing your kayak can be as easy as a peaceful day out on the lake with these top five kayak storage racks and this ultimate kayak storage guide. Each rack has unique features to help you find the very best way to store your kayak when you’re not out enjoying the water. Storing your kayak properly allows you to enjoy your watercraft time and again without fear of scratches, a warped hull, or potential theft of your kayak. These storage systems and tips should help you to enjoy your kayak in pristine shape for years to come.